Spring means flower buds and blooming trees — and if you’re one of the millions of people who have seasonal allergies, it also means sneezing, congestion, a runny nose and other bothersome symptoms. Seasonal allergies — also called hay fever and allergic rhinitis — can make you miserable.
Allergic reactions occur when the immune system reacts to foreign substances in the environment that are normally harmless to most people, such as pollen, bee venom, or pet dander. When allergies occur, the immune system identifies a particular allergen as harmful and creates antibodies to fight it. The immune system’s reaction will typically inflame skin, sinuses, airways or digestive system. But before you settle for plastic flowers and artificial turf, try these simple strategies to keep seasonal allergies under control.
Reduce your exposure to allergy triggers
To reduce your exposure to the things that trigger your allergy signs and symptoms (allergens):
- Stay indoors on dry, windy days. The best time to go outside is after a good rain, which helps clear pollen from the air.
- Delegate lawn mowing, weed pulling and other gardening chores that stir up allergens.
- Remove clothes you’ve worn outside and shower to rinse pollen from your skin and hair.
- Don’t hang laundry outside — pollen can stick to sheets and towels.
- Wear a pollen mask if you do outside chores.
Treat your allergy symptoms with essential oils
1. Respiratory Blend – Breathe
- Main Ingredients: Laurel, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Ravensara, Cardamom
- Helps with: Asthma, Allergies, Cough & Congestion, Bronchitis & Influenza, Sinusitis & Nasal Polyps, Sleep Issues, Constricted Breathing, Exercise-Induced Asthma
2. Allergy Power Trio – Lemon, Lavender, & Peppermint: Combine equal parts in a capsul, diffuse or apply topically to the soles of feet or chest.
- Lemon – decongests and reduces mucus
- Lavender – acts as an antihistamine and calms irritation
- Peppermint – discharges phlegm and reduces inflammation
Order your doTERRA essential oils today!
For more information how to treat allergies naturally read Dr. Axe’s article.